Sunday, March 23, 2008

Under the advisement of the Holy Spirit, and great men like John Wesley and Steve DeNeff, and friends like Pete Aldin, I have begun to wonder if this idea of "Emergent Venom" is not, somehow, counter-productive, or even counter to scripture. I can rationalize (and perhaps even be correct) that men like John MacArthur are inadvertently describing, by their actions, how they want to be treated, at the same time, I do not wish to address anyone in their fashion.

This first struck me while reading Wesley's A Plain Account of Christian Perfection, and again, while reading More Than Forgiveness, by Steve DeNeff (A MUST READ). But lately, Pete Aldin has been doing a series called Famous Last Words, a study of the last verse of each book of the bible. When he touched on Joshua, he made the following comment:

We live in a day of reformation in the church. As an older style of leadership dies away over the next 15-20 years, lets not adopt a position of "Good riddance!", but let's honor them. And not just honor them, but take their bones - their "presence" and legacy - with us into the future. Click for full text.

And that struck me because, as I said to him in response, This is something that I struggle over struggling with. It is very easy for me to see the passing of certain prominent (yet wrong) leaders of the church as the glorious passing of a tainted era. I rejoice that they are in Heaven where they can do no more damage. And that's wrong of me. There are few, if any, in whom I should not be able to find something honorable and good.

I want to seek love and unity and holiness, not a purging of the people that I disagree with from Christianity's steering commision. So be patient with me while I sort this out. It may be that Emergent Venom will become a grounds of defense, or it may cease to exist altogether, or honestly, I may realize that I was okay to begin with (though I doubt it), and keep right on. I appriciate your patience.



2 comments:

Pete Aldin said...

We're in good company with people like the Apostles Paul ("As for those who trouble you, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!" Gal 5:12) and John ("I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes - WHO LOVES TO BE FIRST - will have notihing to do with us. So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing ... Dear friend, do not imitate evil, but what is good... Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God." 3 Jn 9-11).

I don't think there's anything wrong with us identifying evil, deceipt and wilful abusiveness in selfappointed Christ-ian "L"eaders.

Our challenge seems to be to reach for the balance of also offering mercy to them while not writing off all the others who give their best to live a godly life though they've been given an unChristlike system within which to operate.

Keep fighting the GOOD fight my brother. You're trekking through the Kingdom while you're on this path...

Jeremiah said...

Thanks for those words of wisdom, man.

My biggest problem, I think, is that I'm a huge fan of Ann Coulter and her style.