Tuesday, April 8, 2008

John MacArthur just has released a revised edition of his MacArthur Study Bible, as if the first wasn't bad enough. I like the fact that the name "MacArthur" is the largest word on the cover. It's bigger than the sord "study," bigger than the word "bible" by at least 300%. If you open it, there are pages that are three-quarters commentary and one-quarter biblical text. But I suppose that's how much effort it takes to justify some of the things he believes in.

Here's the fun part, though: As I wandered into my local Christian bookstore, I saw an entire shelf of them , perhaps a dozen copies, with bright yellow "50% off" stickers. Seems the sales aren't going so hot. A week later, I checked back. Still, not a copy sold. Another week, still nothing. They will, most likely, be returned for credit, a sales clerk told me.

Nothing warms my heart like Calvinist literature unread. It's always reassuring to know that what, only twenty years ago, might have sold like syrup at a hotcakes convention, is now informing store owners what not to purchase. Next time, try something more theologically significant, like John Wesley's A Plain Account of Christian Perfection, of Brian McLaren's More Ready Than You Realize or, for that matter, Veggietales.

Good night.

No comments: